What is the link between Building Biology and health?
Building Biology looks at the link between our built environments and our health.
Have you ever wondered about the potential health impact is of what is in your living or workspace?
Perhaps you had that “gut feeling” instinct that something just wasn’t quite right, and you bought it anyway…?
Have you sought help from the medical profession and not found answers or ways to improve health?
These are all areas covered by Building Biology – and a whole lot more!
First things first –
How do you know if your building or home is making you sick?
These three questions will help you identify if your building is adversely affecting your health:
- Do you feel different when you are away from the building?
- Are you “not quite right” and there seems to be no definitive answers when you seek medical help?
- Do you experience any of the following?
If you have noticed that
- every time you are in a certain building that your symptoms become worse; and/or
- every time you go away that your symptoms change, and that when you return home, they return too; and/or
- you feel awful every time you spend time in a particular building
What is Building Biology?
Building Biology is a science developed in the 1970s in Germany by Anton Schneider.
In a nutshell, Building Biology examines the way that our built environments impact upon our health.
Building Biology can assess potential health hazards in an established building, or can be applied at the planning stages to avert potential problems.
For me, combining the knowledge and skills of Building Biology with Chinese medicine provide a really unique and holistic way to understand health, the potential hazards within our buildings and what can be done about it.
Building Biology is based on the precautionary principle – so where there is not enough evidence to show that something, whether that be a new technology, building material or ingredient, is safe, we will err on the side of caution, and minimise exposure to it. Read more here.
Building Biology and Health – what is assessed?
First of all, let me make it very clear that there is usually more than one aspect going on at a time. It is for this reason that I assess many aspects when I assess a home, school or workplace.
These aspects include:
- indoor air – which is often up to 10x more polluted than outdoor air
- electromagnetic fields (EMF or EMR) – I assess AC ELF magnetic fields and electric fields, radiofrequencies and dirty electricity
- water damage, moisture and mould – because even after just being wet for 24 hours, you can have a BIG problem
- lead and other heavy metals
- drinking water
I work in with NATA-approved laboratories for assessment and analysis of lead, mould and water samples.
With a background as a registered health professional and a personal journey through environmental sensitivities, I am keen to help you make your building as salubrious as possible – and reduce or eliminate potential hazards.
Why Choose Eco Health Solutions for Building Biology and Health Support?
Lucinda Curran is an experienced and thorough Building Biologist. Having trained in the health sciences (Chinese medicine) she has a sound background in understanding health and the potential impact that the hazards in your built environments may have on your health.
Put your health in safe hands – choose Eco Health Solutions for a knowledgeable auditor, a thorough audit and a supportive practitioner.
How Can I Help You?
In MELBOURNE, ACT or the Sapphire Coast?
Click here to see my face-to-face services.
Check here for upcoming ACT dates.
Anywhere else in the world?
Find out about my online services here.