Some Fungi I Spotted While Doing A Mould Assessment
I was on a mould assessment and spotted this fungi – nature is incredible!
I saw this fabulous fungi growing when I was conducting a mould assessment.
Mould and Fungi are amazing, natural and important.
BUT we don’t want them growing in our homes.
When should you be concerned?
- if you see visible mould growth
- perhaps you can smell a mouldy/musty/earthy smell
- or you have had water damage that wasn’t fully dried within 48 hours
You may even have issues with a brand new build. This is an issue that I have seen time and time again – even in places that have not been lived in yet!
Research done by the University of Tasmania found that the first winter can result in significant issues with mould in certain types of buildings.
It is essential to not only identify that there is a problem but also to…
Investigate the causes. Mould is a moisture issue.
Moisture can come from external sources, such as leaks, flooding or burst pipes.
It can come from internal sources – mostly related to occupant activity. Occupant activity that creates moisture can be anything from the use of heating and cooling systems, to bathing, cooking, cleaning, laundering… and even just breathing!
The first steps in addressing mould are to address the cause of the moisture – so this information is invaluable.
This sort of information cannot be gleaned by a swiffer test cloth or a “bulk” sample taken from multiple locations.