Ten Toxic Truths
Toxic truth: lifestyle-related chronic disease is widely recognised as being one of the top underlying causes for death.
Epidemics and pandemics have been fuelled by high intake of sugar, fat, salt, alcohol, tobacco and lack of physical exercise. Along with this, is the involuntary exposure to the cocktail of industrial chemicals. The World Health Organisation are paying attention to this as they forecast a “tidal wave of cancer.”
The Shift in Thinking
Toxicology has shifted the scientific thinking. Previously the view was that “the dose makes the poison,” and now we are looking at windows of development and minute doses being extremely problematic.
No longer is toxicity about the dose – “the type of chemical, timing of exposure, the combination of chemicals and individual risk factors” all play a role in the toxic effects, says Prof. Marc Cohen.
Cohen identifies the 10 toxic truths to be:
- Everyone is Affected
- The Full Extent is Unknown
- Tiny Doses can have BIG Effects
- Biomagnification Occurs up the Food Chain
- Chemical Cocktails are Synergistic
- Bioaccumulation Occurs over a Lifespan
- Windows of Development are Critical
- Effects are Trans-Generational
- Risk is Unequal, Unjust and Greater for the Young
- Exposure is Unequal, Unjust and Accidents Happen
I encourage you to read the full article – here.