Handy Essential Oils to Use Around the Home
I wanted to share with you some handy essential oils that you can use with ease.
I don’t like conventional pesticides they are neurotoxins, many of which were developed for use in warfare!
Instead, I like to think about “pests” as a critter in the wrong place. Thus my approach is aversion. I would rather they chose not to be there, than be killed.
What works for cockroaches?
Cockroaches absolutely dislike pennyroyal essential oil.
I am not sure why, I love its minty aroma.
All you need to do to keep them out of cupboards is to put a few drops on a cotton ball and place this in your cupboard.
Smells around the home can be unpleasant – but less so than “air fresheners” that add to the particulate matter in the air, and coat everything with a synthetic fragrance.
Whilst my favourite strategies are to:
- remove the source of the odour, and
- open doors and windows and exchange the air; sometimes there is a need to help “manage” the smells.
In this instance, I am referring to the bathroom/powder room/toilet. You know what I am getting at… 😉
Handy Essential Oil for Bathroom Smells?
An essential oil that works wonders for this is eucalyptus oil.
You can make up a small spray bottle with water and a few drops of eucalyptus and use this as needed. Obviously, opening doors and windows is always a good option. 🙂
Many people recommend lavender essential oil to assist with sleep. I don’t. Never.
I have heard from many people over the decades which I have used essential oils find that lavender “hypes them up.”
To help get a good nights’ sleep, a good routine is important. Here’s what I suggest:
- No later than 7pm each evening, turn off wi-fi and all devices (including phones and tablets)
- After your evening meal, go for a short stroll. In Chinese medicine, we often recommend 100 steps after dinner
- Avoid phone calls and conversations
- If you have a lot on your mind, “dump” it onto paper to clear it from your mind
- Journal or make your days’ gratitude list
- Meditate or pray
Handy Essential Oils for Sleep?
I think we need to keep our bedrooms as free from anything that the body needs to deal with – and for many of us, we have already had enormous toxicant-exposures through the day. For this reason, I think it best not to use essential oils.
However, if you are keen to do so, I recommend sweet marjoram and sweet orange. Chamomile may also be helpful.
Let me know your thoughts.
#essentialoils #handyessentialoils #naturalpesticide #smells #sleep